Calling All Writers: NaNoWriMo + #createlounge
So what is NaNoWriMo?
NaNoWriMo, which is short for National Novel Writing Month, is an annual event every November that encourages writers of all genres and all stages to write an entire novel in just 30 days. Traditionally, NaNoWriMo challenges you to write 50,000 words in 30 days, coming to about 1,600 words each day to reach your goal.
This NaNoWriMo challenge could be for you if:
- you've been considering writing a book but haven't had the support or time you need to make it happen
- you have a story inside you that's begging you to bring it to life
- you understand the importance of passion projects in your life
- you want to grow your thought leadership through a book that will connect with your target audience
Both Douglas and I have been outlining our own personal projects to work on during NaNoWriMo this year. The interesting thing is that while Douglas is writing his 5th novel (no, seriously!), I will be taking on a different kind of project, an alternative if you will.
What are the #createlounge NaNoWriMo alternatives?
At #createlounge, we just want to inspire you to tell your story, do the work, and help you see how much you can do in 30 days. We realize that not everyone wants to write a fictional novel during the challenge, including myself, so we have some alternative project ideas to inspire you:
- Non-fiction book or memoir. Maybe fiction isn't your thing. That's totally fine! If you'd rather tell your story through a piece of non-fiction or an in-depth memoir, you can still take on the same challenge of 50,000 words in 30 days.
- Blogging challenge. Maybe a book doesn't quite fit in with your brand or business goals right now, but completing a blogging challenge could be just what you need to create some epic content. If you want to take on the blogging challenge, you can write one blog post a day. Just think, by the end of the month, you could have 30 weeks of content done in one month - crazy amazing!
- Poetry challenge. Maybe long-form content isn't your style. No worries! If you want to take on the poetry challenge, simply write a poem each day. It can be anything from free-verse poetry to slam poetry to haikus even. You can either go in with the goal of creating a collection or just use it as motivation to end the month with 30 new poems.
- Any other writing project. Maybe you'd rather write something else entirely! For me, I'll be writing one journal prompt everyday because I've wanted to create a journal prompt collection for over a year now and am finally carving out the time to do it. If there's something you've been wanting to work on, by all means do it! We'll be cheering you on along the way.
What you can expect from #createlounge for NaNoWriMo
Once you've chosen what kind of book, challenge, or project you're going to complete for NaNoWriMo, let's talk about how our community can help. Douglas and I put a lot of thought into the best ways to support and encourage our writers along the way and we came up with this game plan:
- Weekly updates on Instagram and Twitter. We definitely don't expect daily updates since you'll be spending your energy on writing, so weekly updates on IG and Twitter will do the trick. Douglas and I will be posting our updates through the #createlounge Instagram account.
- Special hashtags. Whenever you have an progress update on your project, we'd love to have you add the hashtags of #createlounge and #nanolounge (we thought we were clever with that one, ha!) on your posts and tweets. You can also use these hashtags if you need any extra support and encouragement in the process. Pep talks are our speciality!
- Podcast episode to end NaNoWriMo. Instead of having a book club choice for November, we are going to instead focus on NaNoWriMo and end the month with a podcast episode reflecting on our experiences. We'll also be sharing some of the projects and books our community is working on with updates and "win"s from the process. We can't wait!
Are you ready to join us? Let us know you're joining us and what kind of book or project you're pursuing during NaNoWriMo by commenting below. We can't wait to conquer this challenge with you!